THE VICTORIAN RURAL WOMEN’S NETWORK
The Victorian Rural Women’s Network (VRWN) is a supportive and inclusive group of rural and regional Victorian women who connect, share skills and ideas and empower each other to step up, lead and succeed.
The VRWN is free to join and aligns with the Victorian Government’s Victorian Gender Equality Strategy to:
– increase the number of women in decision making roles
– work towards equal and fair representation and treatment of women.
A Reference Group of 17 highly regarded Victorian rural women work with government to help shape the network’s objectives, policies, communications and activities. These are delivered through consultation with the Reference Group’s three Working Groups: Communications, Events and Empowered Women.
The network’s value proposition sums up the benefits of joining:
Victorian rural women are stronger through connection
- Inspired to invest in themselves, their businesses and communities
- Resourced through access to grants, events and shared experiences
- Empowered to upskill and lead with confidence.
WHEN WAS THE NETWORK ESTABLISHED?
The original Rural Women’s Network was established in 1986. Rural women wanted better recognition and to build stronger links with government. The network also provided opportunities for women to share skills, resources and information.
After 27 years, the network lost funding. During consultation in 2016, rural women called for a modern network to address issues for women in business, at home and in communities. Four themes emerged: access, promotion, involvement and connectedness.
In July 2017, the VRWN was re-established with a $1.7-million funding commitment over four years.
WHY JOIN THE NETWORK?
If you are a rural Victorian woman looking for connections and resources to inspire you to lead and succeed in your business or community, the Victorian Rural Women’s Network is for you.
The network offers:
• a Leadership and Mentoring Program
• a website where you can connect to like-minded individuals and potential mentors
• a Rural Women’s Forum
• an annual magazine, quarterly e-newsletters, and events calendar
• social media platforms.
Subscribe to the VRWN to experience all this and more.
You can contact the VRWN at VRWNetwork@ecodev.vic.gov.au