This webinar sub-series will focus on the connected southern basin water sharing arrangements, water allocation processes, water trade, policy and events that determined irrigation water availability in 2021-22.
Participants will learn about key factors that influence water availability, and as a result will be better equipped to make more informed decisions in future seasons to better deal with variable water supplies.
Webinar 1. Southern basin sharing arrangements
Thursday, 26 May, 1 – 2 pm.
- Southern Murray-Darling Basin (sMDB) overview
- Characteristics and relative volumes of the different sMDB water entitlements
- Water sharing arrangements between states
- How key storages are shared.
Webinar 2. Allocation policy and key events
Thursday, 9 June, 1 – 2 pm.
- sMDB irrigation allocation processes
- How the allocation processes affect the reliability of different sMDB water entitlements
- Impact of carryover, dam spills and unregulated flows on irrigation supplies.
Webinar 3. Water trade and water policy
Friday, 24 June, 1 – 2 pm.
- Volume, direction and trends of sMDB water trade
- How the different trade limits work
- How the Environmental Water Allowance payback affects irrigation allocations
- sMDB irrigation situation and outlook for 2022-23.
Garry Smith, Director DG Consulting. Garry has worked in the rural water sector for over 30 years. He has led projects in water management, water policy and planning, water trading, and water knowledge building, across the Murray-Darling Basin.
HOW TO REGISTER
To register in advance for these webinars, please go to https://bit.ly/AgVicWMW10.
After registering, be careful to save the confirmation email with important information about joining the webinar, including a passcode.
For more information, please call Rob O’Connor on 0408 515 652.
This webinar is brought to you by the Sustainable Irrigation Program, a partnership between Agriculture Victoria, DELWP, catchment management authorities, and rural water corporations.